Saturday 12 December 2009

180 days to go: Road to the World Cup

Fantastic. I don't know what the real significance of 180 is, I mean its roughly six months but who cares about months? No one counts months anymore. I suppose its 2x90, I should have saved this for a 90 day countdown, only I would have forgotten and missed the boat.

So to mark this day with a real and poignant purpose for this blog, I have decided to set off on a trek to South Africa. In all honesty I have left it slightly late to make the first game in Johannesburg on the 11th June. I'm not really a big walker, I tend to take taxis and buses, jack cars and things, but I could shed a few pounds and see some sights in the process.

So, I leave err... I leave London today (don't live anywhere near London) and head due South (like an idiot would) and if I make around 31.6 miles per day, which is a good ten hours of steady walking, broken by naps and conveniently placed hotels with appropriate bar and restaurant facilities, things should work out. I should magically set foot in the apocryphal 'Soccer City' in time to get a matchday programme, not one of those annoying buzzy vuzvenezuela horn things, and a lion burger or whatever they serve for the best part of £20 outside the grounds. Suppose I don't have a ticket but I'll swindle something. Probably pay on the turnstiles.

So I'm packing my laptop and a giant hipflask for whisky or rum. Why people take water with them I'll never know. Doesn't even taste good. I'll be on the road from now on, posting at you more or less daily provided I find some good wifi hotspots regularly enough. In the meantime I'll make use of my reliable ISP, who I will miss dearly, to bring you the first installments of the Burru and 'Magic' Bougherra. Ha!

Cheerio!


*****

~Returns~
...forgot my wallet...
~leaves~

No comments:

Post a Comment